Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ramblings: Science

Let's try to be more real today, shall we? (even though reality is boring most of the time)


Today's topic:
SCIENCE

Credit to XKCD for being awesome


Boy, what a beautiful subject science is, especially biology. Something about hearing how all these tiny processes are occurring inside every living thing at every moment of it's life is fascinating. DNA, ribosomes, Killer T cells, nerves, frontal lobe.... the language of science is quite the thing.
I love it so much, that i've decided I will dedicate at least another 4 years of my life to learning how everything biological works in college, and hopefully get out of that and right into some sort of a laboratory job. I've always wanted to work in a lab, ever since I was young, but only when I took Living Environment 4 years ago did I realize biology and life science was my area of interest. Who can resist the allure of punnet squares, enzymes, phagocytosis... just, just... EVERYTHING is amazing. What has come to be even more of an amazement to me is that maybe I can work on fighting viruses and improving the body internally, sure, but what about externally? What if I could apply biology to improve arm and leg function, or heighten hearing, or maybe even create a camera that is literally in your eye? Wouldn't that be awesome? Just imagine that: Pictures taken perfectly from how you see it, your point of view. The possibilities are endless, and it would be infinitely lighter and easier the way I see it, no more heavy equipment to lug around and set up, you just look, think, and *click*, there is a picture!
Maybe I could make plant-people, virtually eliminating the need for food as we could just be solar powered. That'd be pretty nice, saves time.

"Cornelius!" you must be saying, "That's immoral! Why would you do that? HOW would you do that?"
To such outbursts, I say: Relax. Science is good, and I only intend to use it for such. Only when one becomes too involved in a study do the ideas of world domination and human enslavement come to sound reasonable, and I do not intend to ever reach that point.
No, I intend to make life better, more awesome, through science. Maybe cure or reduce a disease or two, hopefully at the least make strides toward real, very cool augmentations like that eye one I mentioned. I'm a logical human being, I can keep ethics in mind, even if I want to go all-out mad and just start experimenting left and right one day, it just holds too many poor consequences. Don't want to hid out in a Forest experimenting on trees and critters until I inevitably literally work myself to death, now do I?

Still.... I need to actually see where the opportunities for such work are. What exactly would I need to do to learn such skills to make an in-eye camera? Who would support such an endeavor? Where?
There are still many kinks to work out in this plan, but I think the college years will help iron out many of them as the true reality sets in and I see if such feats are really possible today.
I have high hopes though for the future of biotechnologies though, so be on the lookout for one Cornelius' name plastered on the limbs of the disabled and in-need in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment