Thursday, May 16, 2013

The List

So
As a writer and someone generally interested in all things written and story-related, it has often been said to me that the best way to get better at writing and to appreciate written word more is to read. And you know what? I'm good with that.
Books are awesome. If you can get yourself into them, they bring you into new worlds and give you new experiences; let you escape reality for a while, become someone or something else. They open the mind and let it run free for an afternoon, creating a world akin to the one your eyes are interpreting from the page.
Reading is fantastic, and I see no reason why anyone should stop, even if society collapses into Fahrenheit 451-type dystopia and we start burning books. If that day comes, i'm clipping on my "I Read Books" pin, grabbing the novel i'm working on, and sitting on a bench somewhere in plain sight not giving a damn, because reading is my drug.
...a drug that I keep a poor schedule with and am still a little unfamiliar with.

And so I have semi-recently elected the help of a few friends, especially one in particular who poured his childhood book list out to me one night and still occasionally drops me a new title (and who also is why this blog is named what it is. Thank you, Chrome. I told you i'd give you credit one day :p)

The result of this pouring out along with some others of my own personal interest is a gigantic list of novels, books series, probably a couple non-fiction works, I don't even know what really. It is large, the books are long, and I want to read them ALL... or... most of them at least.
So what else is a blog good for if I don't make some goal for it, right? That's what this will be: tracking my journey through the Book List Of Doom, providing commentary during or after each book or something, to keep me on track in some regard.

So without further time-wasting, here is the list, in no special order:


The Procrastination Equation
The Singularity Is Near
The Art of War
Dune
House of Leaves
The Casual Vacancy
basically anything by Vonnegut (but already did "Breakfast of Champions")
The Perfect Victim
---------
LotR
Chronicles of Narnia
The Dark Tower
Insomnia
Harry Potter
Foundation
I Robot
Diskworld
The Giver
Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns
A song of ice and fire
1984
Brave New World
Metamorphisis
The Arsonist
The Mist
Jurassic Park
Andromeda Strain
The Shining
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
The Silmarillion
American Gods.
Metro 2033.
Salvation War
The Time Machine.
"Damn near anything written by Lovecraft"
Nueromancer.
2001
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Catch 22
Robot Visions.
The End of Eternity.
Firestarter.
Red Dragon.
Silence of the Lambs.
The Road

So yeah... wish me luck
As I complete books, they will get crossed out. Unsure if by just editing this post, or making a new one each time... still not sure how to work this, which I will work on working on.

Sincerely yours,
Cornelius

P.S- The list goes on. I don't care if I never reach the end because it keeps expanding, that's awesome, I can never have enough books to read. So suggest away! Clearly there is a theme of dystopia and such going on, but if it was a good book and you recommend it even if it's not with this theme, give me the name and i'll add it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment